Tsunami Hits Japan: How You Can Help
Posted Mar 11, 2011 by Jen Burton
At 10:40 PM PST Thursday night an 8.9 earthquake struck Japan followed by a 7.4 aftershock and then a tsunami with waves as high as 30 feet followed soon after.
We’ve compiled a list of both live updating news sites and causes for your reference. Please do what you can to help – donate, share, invite your friends and remember, most of all, that people are in need – your kindness and compassion is of utmost importance.
How you can help
- Help us raise $50,000 through the Red Cross. Emergency Operation Centers are opened in the affected areas and staffed by the chapters.
- Save the Children is mobilizing to provide immediate humanitarian relief in the shape of emergency health care and provision of non-food items and shelter.
Hundreds are dead in Japan. Stay informed.
- Google has created a disaster resource center
- CNN’s Japan live blog
- Al Jazeera is covering the effects of the quake and the tsunami as it travels around the world.
- Live video coverage from MSNBC
- Yahoo’s live coverage
Terrifying amateur video shot live during the quake